Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Greetings All!

First I would like to say Happy Thanksgiving! I know a little late :) My Thanksgiving went well, I celebrated it on a few different occasions. The first of these was on Wednesday with the Open Door church, we had turkey and all the regular side dishes. This was a first Thanksgiving for many of the families there. Then on Thanksgiving Day we started out the day with a brunch (pictured below, all but Sarah Jones who took the picture for us) 


and then the Jones family and I traveled to Mark and Heather's house, an American couple here in Berlin for a few years, and had another big dinner. And last but not least on Saturday a bunch of Freischwimmer folk came over to the Carey household and ate the feast that Sarah Carey and I prepared Friday/Saturday. 

What comes after Thanksgiving? We can all officially start listening to Christmas music and getting ready for my favorite holiday. Here they celebrate Christmas for three days instead of two. Christmas Eve is the day most families really celebrate, it would be the equivalent of Christmas day for us. All the shops and and restaurants are closed that day. Then there is Christmas day and the second Christmas day. Another traditional Christmas thing here are the Christmas Markets. I tried to get a picture for you, but it didn't turn out. Hopefully I can get a better one soon. These Christmas Markets are kind of like flea markets. Everyone has their own individual hut/stall to set up shop in. Some people sell homemade stuff such as soap, carved kitchenware, and scarfs. Others sell jewelry and of course food. There is everything from potato pancakes to these little fried balls of dough that are coated in powdered sugar (they  taste like elephant ears). Altogether it is really nice to be able to go out and spend time browsing these markets, and its a wonderful place to find Christmas presents, because you can find something for everyone there. 

This past Saturday I went to a concert with my friend Lea. We went to the Berliner Dom for the concert and it was beautiful inside. We weren't really allowed to take pictures, but here is a link to someone else's photo of it, cause I can't describe how beautiful it is. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2170728980060736392HBrTvL concert was a Christmas concert that was put on by the main orchestra and choir in Berlin.

That's all folks! I hope you all are well! 
God Bless!
Abbi

  

No comments: